Are you Prepared for Severe Weather in San Antonio?
Preparing For Severe Weather
Are you ready if San Antonio severe weather strikes your area tomorrow? Where you live will determine the type of storms you’re most likely to face. Follow these safety measures and general tips to help you prepare.
Preparing for a Tornado
While tornadoes can occur in any of the states, there's a reason the region from Texas to South Dakota is called Tornado Alley. San Antonio tornado season occurs during spring and summer.
Do the Following:
- Follow the NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio or TV newscasts. Obey the instructions given by local emergency officials.
- Keep watch outside for signs of a tornado, like a dark sky, large hail, low-lying or fast-moving clouds, or roaring sounds.
- Learn to recognize emergency alerts. The phrase "tornado watch" means a tornado is possible, while "tornado warning" means a funnel cloud has been spotted.
- If a tornado warning is issued, immediately take shelter in the basement or storm cellar. If your home doesn’t have an underground room, hunker in an interior bathroom.
Preparing for a Thunderstorm
San Antonio thunderstorms are dangerous because they always produce lightning and can produce hail, strong winds, flash floods, tornadoes and wildfires. Thunderstorms can occur anywhere in the US and are most common during the summer.
Do the Following:
- Prepare your home by shuttering windows and doors, and unplugging sensitive electronics.
- Prepare your property by removing damaged tree branches that could fall during a storm, and bringing outdoor objects inside.
- Watch the sky and tune in to your NOAA Weather Radio for information.
- Learn to recognize emergency alerts. A "severe thunderstorm watch" means stormy conditions are likely to occur. A "severe thunderstorm warning" means they exist somewhere in the area.
- If a severe thunderstorm warning is issued, danger is imminent. Seek shelter immediately. Stay in a hard-topped vehicle if there are no buildings.
If you have an emergency, remember that SERVPRO of Universal City / St. Hedwig is available 24/7/365! Our main phone number is (210) 610-6800.