Contents Damaged by a Flood? Follow these Precautions!
If your building was recently flooded, it is understandable that you may want to act fast to start cleaning your contents. After all, the longer you wait to clean your items, the more money you lose. However, content cleaning a flooded company should not be taken lightly. Whether you’re dealing with a flood caused by a broken pipe or one caused by sewage backup, there are certain precautions you need to take:
• Review basic hygiene procedures.
• Invest in personal protective gear.
• Train your employees on disease prevention.
• Know when to call in the professionals.
Basic Hygiene Procedures
If you and your employees attempt to clean up the mess on your own, it’s crucial that you take precautions to protect your health. Some things you can do to clean up your flooded company include the following:
• Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water immediately after coming into contact with human waste or sewage.
• Do not touch your face, eyes, mouth or open sores while handling contaminated water.
• Remove soiled work clothes as soon as you’re done cleaning and before you do anything else or go anywhere else.
• Do not chew gum or smoke tobacco while handling sewage or human waste.
• Invest in dry cleaning to thoroughly clean contaminated clothes.
Protective Personal Gear You Need
Knowing how and when to clean your hands and clothing is not enough. You also need to know how to handle contaminated water or, more importantly, what gear you need to safely do so. Equipment you will need includes these items:
• Rubber boots and gloves
• Liquid repellent coveralls
• Protective face mask
Conduct the Proper Training
Though you should always rely on a professional San Antonio, TX, water remediation team for content cleanup, it doesn’t hurt to train your workers in safe techniques and basic hygiene practices. A portion of training should focus heavily on when to seek medical attention and recognizing signs of waste-borne illnesses.
If you’re dealing with a flooded company, the best thing you can do for you and your employees’ safety is hire a San Antonio, TX, remediation team. The professionals are properly trained and have adequate protection.